48 British Words For Driving That You May Not Know

The following is a guest post by Jonathan/anglotopia.net

How the British Communicate Driving Differently Than Americans


This is the first article in an ongoing series about British English or as we Americans tend to call it, British Slang. The following list of words is taken from Anglotopia’s Dictionary of British English and you’ll find these and a ton more words in our bestselling dictionary.

This week we’re going to talk about the words for driving that are different from British to American English. Some of the words are obvious in their meanings, some words are used completely differently to the way we Americans use them – which can lead to confusion when renting (or hiring as the Brits say) a car when you’re in the UK.

AA – abbr – The British Automobile Association, whom you call when your car breaks down.
Bollard – n – Metal post that usually indicates a place one should not drive into.
Bonnet – n – The hood of a car.
Boot – n – The car’s trunk, opposite of the bonnet.
Camper van – n – Recreational vehicle.
Car boot sale – n – Swap meet or flea market where people sell items from the back of their car.
Car park – n – Parking lot or parking garage.
Caravan – n – Another term for Recreational Vehicle.
Caravan Park – n – Campsite for recreational vehicles and trailers
Cat’s eyes – n – Reflectors located on the road in the center line.
Central Reservation – n – The median between two opposite sides of a road.
Damper – n – The shock absorber on a car.
Dual carriageway – n – A divided highway a step down from a motorway.
Estate car – n – A station wagon.
Gear lever – n – The stick shift in a manual car.
Golf buggy – n – Golf cart.
Handbrake – n – Parking/ Emergency brake in a car.
Hard shoulder – n – Shoulder on the side of the road that’s paved.
High street – n – Main street.
Hire car – n – A rental car.
Indicator – n – Turning signal in a car.
Kerb – n – A curb.
Kerb crawler – n – A person who solicits street prostitutes.
L-plates – n – Special license plates you’re required to have on your car while learning to drive in the UK.
Lay-by – n – Rest area along the highways.
Lorry – adj – A semi or heavy goods truck.
Manual gearbox – n – A manual transmission on a car.
Motor – n – An antiquated term for an automobile.
Motorway – n – The equivalent would be an interstate highway.
Nearside – n – The side of the car that’s closest to the curb.
Number plate – n – License plate.
Pavement – n – The sidewalk.
Pelican crossing – n – A type of crosswalk on British streets.
Puncture – n – Flat tire.
Registration – n – A car’s license plate.
Roundabout – n – A traffic circle.
Saloon – n – Standard 4 door family sedan car.
Sleeping policemen – n – A speed bump in the road.
Slip-road – n – An exit on/off ramp on a highway.
Soft-Shoulder – n – Roadside shoulder that’s made of gravel.
Tarmac – n – A paved road.
Traffic Light – n – Stoplight
Trailer tent – n – A pop-up camper.
Undercarriage – n – The underside of your car.
Verge – n – Shoulder on the side of the road.
Windscreen – n – Windshield.
Wing – n – Car fender.
Zebra crossing – n – Pedestrian crossings on roads.

The words on this list were excerpted from Anglotopia’s Dictionary of British English: Brit Slang from A to Zed, featured in http://www.anglotopia.net

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.